Wednesday

Cast, swing, boom.

The heavy rains and winds that passed through the central region in held up till the late afternoon in the area where we fished.  I fished for NunBulGae (literally means Red Eyed Fish) for the first time today and I can now fully understand why people get hooked onto this.  I think this is the closest thing to bonefish fly fishing in fresh waters.  Fished on ankle to knee high waters and these fish run.  They take flies off top waters like a bass.  Cast, swing, boom.  They take off and do a pretty impressive run, fast and powerful.  They will run 3-5 times before coming to hand.  They are not big fish, but they can swim fast and hard.  I wished I had shock leaders today after they ripped off the fly several times.  On the average, it takes about 2-3 minutes to land one and that's if you pull in hard.  I was onto the fish on the second cast of the day and it continued into the late afternoon.  In all that excitement, I reached down to pick up a fish that came to my feet and then the inevitable happened.  I watched my phone drop into the water then immediately get covered by weed (which made me fumble through the weed to pick it up - delaying the pickup).  I am trying to dry this phone out and if it all works out, I'll post some photos.  I can't say I'll give up trout fishing for this, but I do expect to be out fishing for NunBulGae during the late summer/ fall seasons.  BTW - they can be fished all year round.

Mr. Choi, the owner of Spider Fly Shop did manage to get some video footage on his new gopro camera so he'll post that up.  A NunBulGae looks like this.

Here is the link to some of the videos Mr. Choi captured.

http://www.spiderfly.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=johwang&wr_id=6365

7 comments:

  1. I got excited just thinking about it. Fishing in Korea never ceases to amaze me. Put your phone in a bag of rice overnight and charge itto see if comes alive. The method worked for me during my last trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, powerful fish!!! Are they part of carp family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but like the 끄리, they take flies aggressively off the surface. They were mostly biting on black water beatle flies. I am tying a bunch of them now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you revive your phone? Can't see you on Katalk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to get a new phone but I am back on line. I'm going to try to dry out the old phone but I don't think it's gonna work. Let's talk this week. I was wondering if you went fishing this weekend or not. After 3 weeks of fishing, do you fish more? or not. I would be contemplating that question as the weekend approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went out last week and yesterday. Water level is still low but as long as you stick to deeper pool, you can find them. Also did some saltwater action today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since my trip, I found myself wanting to do more fishing as I experienced alot of humility during the trip. i guess i was outside of comfort zone so it was harder to cast and focus. with that in mind, during my last two outings, i focused more on casting and took my time locating fish so that i can see their reaction to my cast.

    ReplyDelete