Monday

October Fishing

There is a point in your life when you realize that you have to be less selfish and do the things for the ones you love. So I decided to take my wife fishing. This selfless act from me is to make up for all the times I spent my time fishing instead of being with her. However, unfortunately, Patty caught a nasty flu and begged me not to take her fishing. So I obeyed. Since this trip is planned with 4 other friends, I couldn’t cancel the trip and Patty told me she will be at her parent’s house for the weekend to be pampered by her mother. God bless my in-laws.













Drove up to Catskill Thursday night and checked in to a small fishing outfit called “Baxter House Lodge” in Roscoe , NY . This place is specifically catered towards fly fishing anglers. (www.baxterhouse.net). Ken is a great host who also runs guide service and always willing to share great spots to fish.













Woke up on Friday morning with the shiver. Outdoor thermostat read at 39 degree. Wasn't sure if the fish will beactive at this cold temperature but geared up and grabbed a cup of coffee and headed to the "Cairn's Pool" which is somewhat calm water where you can see rising fish easily and rising fish I saw. This pool is one of the most famous spot fished in Catskill and I had the pool all to myself.














Once fish were spotted (they were rising everywhere), I tied small flying ant pattern and able to land a couple of fish but I really had to work for those fish. It turned out that they were going after the smallest midge which can be matched with size 22 and maybe smaller flies. Luckily I had a tiny BWO pattern and purchased some tiny adam's pattern locally and I was giggling like a little girl the whole time until it was unbearable for me to wade anymore. Only when I sat on the riverbank to warm myself, I realized how beautiful fall foliage was at the Catskill this time of the year. I fished a few other spots and retired early as the weather didn’t get any better.



































































With Anna, Dave, Lena and Danny who arrived late Friday night, we ventured out to Cairn’s pool. For those who haven’t fished regularly, this river can be difficult as trout do get smarter as they spent more time in the water. They worked the river effortlessly and Lena who is an absolute beginner fly fisherman, caught her first trout on a dry fly! Nice one Lena !!!


























For those who haven’t actually landed a fish, here is something it will make you feel better.


























Good friends and good fishing, you couldn’t ask for anything better accept for Patty’s quick recovery.



































































5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to torture you like this but this by far one of the best fishing i've done. They said October is the best time to fish catskill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 신선씨 얘기 골때린다, 너 몰매 맞을수도 있으니, 알아서 피해라. ㅋㅋ 안부 전해줘라, 아이들이 요즘 너랑 신선이모 얘기 자주 하더라.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles,
    Great blog and great pics of David and Danny!!! Haha. Thanks for your guide service and can't wait to go fishing again with you. Ramapo here we come!!!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! that seemed great fishing Charles. I will be there next time for sure (If you invite me of course). Getting ready for wedding, I haven’t fishing for sometime, but soon I will be walking in the creek again. I will share some photos soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ksanchun, you have the lifetime invitation from me. You can come over anytime of the year to fish with me.

    ReplyDelete