Monday

Checklist


I really didn't want to post this incident which happened to me a day before the previous posted fishing trip to KLG but I guess I have to.... just to remind myself not to do it again.

I don't know about you guys but I never had a checklist to go fishing. Maybe because I get too excited and prepare myself way ahead of the time so I guess I never had a need to have the checklist. But something awful happened this Friday.

I knew I had to take the Friday off since the temperature will be up around 50 degree. I get to fish in one layer of fleece instead of 5 and other good things about fishing came to my mind so I decided to play hooky to go fishing at KLG.

After reading a few years old articles about what might be hatching, I've been tying some early stone fly, midges, and a few other for this trip, organized it, and placed it on my tying desk for me to take in the morning.

It was a beautiful morning with the sun shining ever so bright. Picked up some 김밥, and coffee and off I went. Usually takes about an hour to get to KLG but decided to drive a little slower just to savor spring like air.

Once I pulled in to the parking lot at KLG. My heart dropped to right around where my butt is located. "Oh Shit, my flies". Yes I left my fly box on top of my tying desk.

I never thought that my brain was capable of thinking the following things within 1/10th of second:
1. Is there a fly shop near by?
2. No, It's a farmland?
3. Maybe I can buy some fly from other anglers
4. so take the wallet with you
5. Should I go home and get it?
6. Wait a minute, what about the soft hackle and prince nymph you had placed in vest fly patch?

Yes!!!! I found the prince nymph but not the soft hackle off of my vest patch. I was confident that I will run into some other anglers to borrow or purchase some flies as it wasn't unusual for me to run into at least 3 or 4 anglers even on Fridays.

But, just in case, took my sweet time inspecting all by leaders and tippets are in perfect condition as I couldn't afford to loose this one and only fly for the trip.

I only found the spot with no overcast of any tree branches and when I did get snags on submerged objects or occasional tree branches, I GOT MY FLY BACK! I just couldn't believe that no one I mean no one came out to fish that Friday.

I did enjoy serenity but never missed someone this badly before. Didn't take that long before the river claimed my one and only fly. (Been fishing 2 1/2 hours). Waited an hour for other anglers to show up but had to leave.

Yes, I did manage to get a couple of rainbow but lesson learned! Have your checklist and have an emergency fishing kit in your car.

1 comment: