Monday

Christmas in Bahamas: Day 3

“What the Fxxx” I couldn’t believe that it is raining yet again. As we are waiting for our guide Patterson, Bill came over and told us that the weather will definitely improve. I saw in the distance trace of sunbeams peaking between clouds.














We left the resort with skepticism but our skepticism faded away quickly as we encountered the scenery which was breathtakingly beautiful even in rain.

























Once we arrived to our first flat, the lesson of bone fishing officially started by Patterson. Patterson told us that selection of fly is not as important in Andros as the area is not heavily pressured and bonefish in Andros are more aggressive and opportunistic feeders.

























Biggest challenge was to spot bones. The day was heavily overcastted with occasional sunbeams peaking through. Patterson constantly whispered 3 o’clock 40 feet, 12 o’clock 35 feet but I simply could not spot them. At one point, I make a perfect cast out of shear luck and the fish went for it. Instead of strip hooking, I did trout hooking which ultimately cost the fish.













Spent all day trying to learn how to spot bones. Towards end of the day, I was able to spot them fairly well only when the sun was out. Even before Patterson spotted the fish, I was able to spot one and made the cast which landed about 5 feet infront of the fish. Strip Strip pause, strip strip pause just as Patterson told me and then boom, the fish took my fly and decided to torpedo its way to safety. In instant, I felt sharp burning sensation in my index finger which was wrapped around fly line. Seeing the fleeing fish trailed by fly line fiercely ripping through ocean water was unreal.


























Only two bones were caught but I felt good as I was properly introduced to world of bone fishing.

2 comments:

  1. Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Nice fish. Give Patty a hug from all of us here in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete