Sunday

Fall Run of Herring and Stripers

Herrings are running strong in NY Bight area and stripers are at the tail end of their fall run. James Cape from Autumn Brook Angling and I decided to hit the Sandy Hook National Park to take advantate of the situation.


"Surf fly fishing for striper is never about the accuracy nor the distance of your casting. It's all about understanding bottom structure in relation to wave movements and putting your fly right in the middle of the structure" James said with smile.

For someone like me who are not used to swinging a 10 wt rod with sink tip which has a heavy weighted fly at the end of line, it is all about the casting without hooking my body parts...




The weather was beatiful. Birds gave us good indication where the bait fish are located. The location of Sandy hook is a perfect location for fishermen for stripers as it is a strategic location to find our target as swift tides are present along the bayside and brings the bait fish with it.














My first striper on fly rod!



It's good to be back doing some saltwater fishing. Most of my saltwater fishing was done on boat but being on surf was definitely different experience. You get to be more aware of the water you are fishing as you really need to study it as to rely on your fishfinder device.

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh shiiiit! That's some serious catching from the shore, and on a fly rod. You'll have to fill us in on the details of what this is like. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's great Charles. I am also curious about salt water fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really had to work for those fish! my arm is still sore from casting...Casting was the biggest challenge for me in the beginning especially with strong wind. Then figuring out what water column to place the fly then at what speed to retrieve the fly. Luckily there were a lot of avid fishermen including James I can learn from by watching them. definitely different type of fishing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. stri-paaahs! bad-ass dude next thing you know you're gonna be like lou tibor. I'm coming out for the next fall run. can you take me to montauk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely! I've fished out there with live bunkers and actions can out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on a first, it looks to be much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's great,
    flyfishing on the sea.

    All over the place where you can enjoy the many different ways of the flyfishing, it comes from a lot of effort.

    good job Charles...ㅎㅎ
    I saw a great picture.

    ReplyDelete