Monday

paying dues



Most anglers have some sort of superstition, whether they admitted or not. I’ve seen some people spit on worms after they hook it (for good luck), refuse to change rods (even when it’s clearly too heavy for the tiny creek), and some will not wash their hands (as this might wash away all the good luck). There are some myths that are personal and some that are shared widely across the fishing population (such as :east winds – fish bite the least, west winds – fish bite the best). I have a few of my own and one of them is that some (not all) waters requires me to pay respect to it, before it will give me good fish. Likely it’s my excuse for lack of skills and not catching good fish, but I prefer to think of it as the spirit of the water making me pay my dues (better than saying I sucked that day).

So, throughout the course of a slow day, my mind goes through a cycle like this: (1) start: oh yeah! I’m going to catch some big fish today. I might even set a new record for this place… (2) after 2 hours: what the hell? this place must have no fish at all…is there something wrong with the water? (3) after 3 hours: damn it, I think this place has been fished too much and the other fisherman took ALL the fish… (4) after 4 hours: wait, I’m fishing this all wrong – think man, think. Become the fish in these waters…where would you be? (5) after 5 hours: I’m never coming back here again, this place sucks and has no fish… (6) after 6 hours: maybe it’s the river making me pay my dues…that’s right, it will only give me a little taste, so I come back next time with respect for this place…I got it. (7) on the way home: I am great angler after all, this is just the river making my pay my dues….I did, so give me something substantial next time. I love you river!

Damn it, even writing this doesn’t make me feel better.










No comments:

Post a Comment