Thursday

10 years.



As much as I enjoy fishing myself, I enjoy the opportunity to introduce this activity to my friends. It’s a great feeling to watch someone try fishing for the first time, and if they catch fish, even better. I believe in the first timer luck thing, and when conditions are right, the first timers often catch more fish than I do… I usually follow up with the “wow – you must have some special fishing senses you were born with” and often times, they are hooked. It’s a pleasure to watch people succeed, and to see that proud look in their eyes. As responsible anglers (and more importantly as responsible friends) we need to share the joys of fishing, and help people to approach fishing as they see fit. Over the course of couple of hours, people open up (mainly to themselves). What other activity can you think of that lets you have a conversation (say about something heavy like love, career, self reflection) and allows one to walk away for tens of minutes… then come back and continue that or a different conversation? Like how a campfire allows people to open up and talk of things they need to get off their chest, a large body of water also has that effect. So I have deep and meaningful conversations with my friends, the type that can only be done with fishing rods in hand, and standing in front of a body of water. At other times, it’s not serious at all, in fact it’s mainly about not saying anything, and simply enjoying the day & view. My friends joined me yesterday to do just that, relax and look at the ripples in the water. One of them hasn’t been fishing since he was ten, and it was awesome to watch him reel in a small bass. We had some beers after and took some stress off our busy shoulders. I read a quote somewhere that said “ If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.” ….. I couldn’t agree more.



No comments:

Post a Comment