Monday

catching catfish on a stone fly


I know there are people who will call me bluff (since all fisherman and hunters are) but I tell you this one is true. I have done it once and from what I read on the web, I might not be able to do it again for a long time. This past summer, the stars aligned and a catfish found it’s way to my stonefly pattern. As catfish are bottom feeders, many people just don’t believe it when I tell them that I found a catfish (a sizeable one) at the end of my line. I was using a slightly larger stone fly pattern on this 4wt rod, and when the line stopped moving. I thought I had a snag on a log or something, then the swirling began, and I knew it was a catfish. Although the fish was probably only 3lbs, it felt huge on the 4wt rod and it was a chance to see how far the rod will bend back. I will have to do this again next spring, to show my friends that this can be done. I have a feeling there are anglers in Europe who I can learn from, about catching carp and other bottom feeders on fly rods.


No comments:

Post a Comment