Tuesday

Catskill Fishing














The alarm rang at 4am and got ready in 3 minutes. Record time… I love driving early in the morning as simply because there is no traffic. Took me less than 2 hours to Beaverkill.














The water level was somewhat low as we didn’t have any rain recently. Thick heavy fog only allowed 40 feet of visibility, but provided nice overcast. The fishing was good. Not so much with the numbers of fish caught but in sizes. The largest one being 18 inches which qualified as the biggest trout I’ve caught in local water.














Maybe it was coincidence but all four of 16-18 inchers are caught by feeding the line from the upstream. I guess feeding line without any drag is crucial with the big ones as they get smarter with the size.














All others are caught by regular casting techniques with slight drag applied to flies. I found it somewhat difficult for my skill level to control right amount of mending as the most of flow condition deals with multiple speeds of water flow.















I’ve ran into 5 anglers today at the parking lots of different fishing access sites. Two didn’t want anything to do with me which is fine as the solitude is what they are probably seeking when they fish or sitting in the parking lot in this case. But fxxk you anyway for being snotty. The other three anglers provided with me a lot of information about the hatches, history of catskill, and many useful and not so useful information including how evil Orvis is. I always enjoy talking to fellow anglers as a lot of fishing tips and useful information can be gathered. Also, I think when it comes to fly fishing, the fly fisherman are more willing to share information than salt water fisherman. Once, I asked my dock neighbors in my marina how to get to a place referred to local fisherman as “Mud Hole” and they told me to dig a hole in my backyard and fill it with water. Asshole….

3 comments:

  1. welcome to the club brother! thanks for the photos and bragging about them fish – nice ones. Not that we can tolerate motor mouth who don’t know when to stop talking but I tend to find that those who consistently catch fish, are usually generous about sharing information… and the number & size of fish are somewhat proportionate to how relaxed one is when it come to fishing. The ones who tend to be pricks either haven’t caught fish in a long while and are frustrated out of their minds, or are pricks to begin with – in both situations, they basically know they’re pricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are some nice fish, were they all caught on dry flies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were caught on stimulator (10-12 size)

    ReplyDelete