Tuesday

Macrostigma from Nera River




Today, I received a note from an old friend , and it put a smile to my face all day. He is a Italian angler who admits in his own words that he has "suffered from the disease for nearly twenty years". It made me smile, because it brought back vivid memories of him speaking of flies and creeks, nearly 10 years ago back in New York City. At the time, the stories did not make much sense to me, but the passion and dedication in his words, must have left a lasting impression with me. Come to think of it now, those words might have planted a small seed in my mind to my own destiny with fishing. Funny how these things work, I would have never been able to foresee this coming at that time. It's like reading a book for the second time, and discovering new things in it that you did not see the first time. It's a good state to be in (fishing) - so that's that.

He sent me a nice photo of a small trout he caught, a special native brown from the mountains of central Italy, a subspecies called macrostigma. He described the Nera stream where he caught it as - "a tough river but those who love it, fish it with dry flies only". He says he likes this river "even more than the Madison or the Firehole in Wyoming", which probably means he really loves to fish there. The Nera River is 116km long, and flows mostly in Umbria, Italy. It flows southward and joins the Tiber near Orte. Other people who have fished it describe it "pocket water" type fishery. People also described fishing in Nera River as a place requiring short & accurate casts. It sounds like a perfect place for my friend to be catching his fish. Perhaps I will consider going there someday to meet some Italian fish. But I will have to wait a while if I want to fish Nera River with my friend ... at least until he gets back from his new "habit", which involves free diving in the ocean with spears. Please note the hexagonal bamboo Hardy Marvel rod & matching Hardy Featherweight reel from the 60's he's holding. I am sure that my friend has a nice story on that rod & reel as well.

Go spear on brother, spear some big ones. Watch out for those sharks.

No comments:

Post a Comment