Saturday

the one eyed bass


















I caught a bass the other day and noticed that he was missing his right eye. At first I just felt bad for the poor thing and couldn’t stop wondering about how it lost its eye. Could it have been a careless angler? Was it a virus of some sort? Perhaps it lost its eye to another fish for survival? Whatever it was, it was strange that it was missing an eye. After I released it, I thought about what a struggle it must be for it to catch food. Fish are said to have poor eye sight, so it must try extra hard, twice as hard as other fish to eat. But the more I think about it, I am impressed that it’s surviving, that it aggressively took my fly, and that it will continue to be there catching food. I wondered if he was considered the one eyed tough gangsta among his fish friends. I am not going to fish that spot anymore because the last thing that fish needs is to waste it’s time eating food that has a hook in it. I am happy that I got a chance to meet the one eyed pirate bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment