Monday

winter of 2007



This past winter has been a cold one in Illinois. It was a time for a lot of personal changes for me, and it’s one that broke my promise that I will fish through the winter (may sound like an excuse, but mainly because the rivers completely froze shut). I went out several times, sometimes in the hardest days with heavy snow and fierce winds. I am not sure if I went out to catch fish, or to test my will against seemingly un-fishable conditions. I am sure people in Canada or Alaska will consider winters here mild and completely fishable, but for a beginner like myself, it was certainly a challenge. Friends here tell me there’s two ways to do this if I want to continue fishing around here…one is to go ice fishing and the other is to clean & put away my gear till spring. I have never gone ice fishing but still claim I won’t like it, and the winter is just too many months to put away gear for that long. This seasons been good in a few ways, and it’s taught me a thing or two.



First I have learned to like the saying, “there is no poor weather, only poor clothing”. I have stocked up on winter gear like there’s no tomorrow. I have bought gear and clothing to a degree, that no matter how cold, I could be standing outside (in comfort) for several hours. I’ve bought so much gear that if winter like this doesn’t come back, then I might have to fly somewhere cold, just to use all this equipment and clothing. Second, I have come to terms with myself flying to different parts of the country (or world) to fish, when seasons at home doesn’t agree with my fishing schedule. I have flown to more places seeking fish, and I have come to become much better at planning my schedules/ trips thanks to this winter. I have also learned that you can basically fish anywhere, as long as you keep your mind open about the fish you catch. Third, and probably most importantly, I have a new found & deep appreciation for the other 3 seasons of the year. With passing of this winter I know for sure that I will greet the coming spring differently than I have greeted springs in the past. I will cherish each blossom on the trees, and finally start to see the wonder of mother nature, as it turns itself over again from its deep sleep. I will fish during the summer, and no matter how hot or humid (or filled with mosquito) I will welcome each and every sweat from my pores. I think about fall, and it already fills my heart with excitement and joy. And as winter approaches, I will know what to expect (and give myself reason to get all dressed up like I am going to explore the North Pole). And the reading we catch up with in the winter is like soothing smell of smoke for the soul. Of all the books I’ve read throughout this winter, “Dances With Trout” by John Gierach must be my favorite. I have discovered a truly a brilliant writer that I will enjoy for years to come.



I took a walk around my favorite lake today, and remembered all the wonderful moments from last season. I feel spring in the breeze, and although they say it will snow again next week, I know that spring is finally here in my neighborhood. So this entry is for the winter of 2007, a true winter in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment